Wednesday, February 28, 2007

MN HS Section Predictions

Section 1A

My preseason prediction: Mankato West

Final: #1 Albert Lea vs. #3 New Ulm

Prediction: New Ulm knocked off my prediction in the semifinal thanks to some great goaltending. New Ulm's goalie will give them a chance, but I think Albert Lea has too much talent and will win a game that will end up closer than it should be.

Section 1AA

My preseason prediction: Lakeville North

Final: #1 Rochester Century vs. #2 Lakeville North

Prediction: Century won the earlier meeting between these teams by a score of 4-3, but I'll stick with my preseason prediction and say Lakeville North wins.

Section 2A


My preseason prediction: Duluth Marshall

Final: #1 Duluth Marshall vs. #2 St. Cloud Cathedral

Prediction: Cathedral had an upset win over Marshall earlier this year, but Marshall is one of the top teams in Class A, and I think they'll win the game.

Section 2AA

My preseason prediction: Cretin-Derham Hall

Final: #1 Cretin-Derham Hall vs. #2 Woodbury

Prediction: Cretin dominates this section, and it would be a huge upset if they didn't win.

Section 3A

My preseason prediction: St. Thomas Academy

Final: #1 St. Thomas Academy vs. #2 Red Wing

Prediction: These two teams met early in the season and STA won a close game. I think the Cadets will win.

Section 3AA


Preseason Prediction: Hill-Murray

Final: #4 White Bear Lake vs. Hill-Murray/Centennial

Prediction: White Bear has lost a number of heartbreakers to Hill recently. I think it's the Bears time, and they'll be the ones to beat Hill-Murray in overtime.

Section 4A

Preseason Prediction: Little Falls

Final: #1 Little Falls vs. #2 Fergus Falls

Prediction: Fergus was able to upset Little Falls earlier this season, but I think the Flyers will be prepared this time, and their talent advantage will carry them back to state.

Section 4AA

Preseason Prediction: Blaine

Final: #1 Blaine vs. Maple Grove/Anoka

Prediction: I'll stick with Blaine.

Section 5A


Preseason Prediction: Totino-Grace

Final: #4 Totino-Grace vs. #3 Blake

Prediction: This is a tough one to pick. I'll stick with my preseason pick of T-G.

Section 5AA

Preseason Prediction: Holy Angels

Final: #1 Holy Angels vs. #2 Burnsville

Prediction: Holy Angels is the easy pick, and it would be a huge upset if they lost.

Section 6A

Preseason Prediction: New Prague

Final #1 Orono vs. #2 New Prague

Prediction: It would be an upset, but I'll stick with my prediction of New Prague.

Section 6AA


Preseason Prediction: Edina

Final: #1 Edina vs. #2 Eden Prarie

Prediction: Edina and their Super Sophs will probably win this one.

Section 7A

Preseason Prediction: Hermantown

Final #1 Hermantown vs. #2 Hibbing

Prediction: Hermantown is a big favorite and should probably win.

Section 7AA

Preseason Prediction: Elk River

Final: #1 Cloquet vs. #3 Grand Rapids

Prediction: Cloquet was lucky to sneak by Elk River, despite not playing their best game. I'll take Grand Rapids to win in a very good game.

Section 8A


Preseason Prediction: Warroad

Final: #1 Warroad vs. #2 Thief River Falls

Prediction: I think Warroad will pay back TRF for the tough loss in last year's section final.

Section 8AA


Preseason Prediction: Roseau

Final: #1 Moorhead vs. #2 Roseau

Prediction: Moorhead beat Roseau twice this year, but I think the Rams will pull off the upset in the section final.